There are many English Language Proficiency Tests like the IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, OET, Trinity College London English Test, Duolingo and others. But not all tests are Secure English Language Tests or better known as SELT – UKVI.
What is SELT?
SELT is the short form for Secured English Language Test as mandated by the Home Office – Government of UK. Currently there are five tests which are approved by the UK Home Department. They are:
- PSI Services (UK) Ltd (only outside UK)
- IELTS SELT Consortium (both inside and outside UK)
- LanguageCert (both inside and outside UK)
- Pearsons (both inside and outside UK)
- Trinity College London (only inside UK)
PSI’s – Skills for English SELT – UKVI & Skills for English Global are the Latest Addition to English Language Proficiency Testing Systems.
Skills for English (UKVI) is a Secure English Language Test (SELT) that has been approved by UK Visas and Immigration to meet the English language requirements for UK visa applications. It’s simple and convenient to prepare for, to book and to take.
The test can be booked online and on demand, it is delivered in a single session that is entirely computer-based, with no need for an examiner/assessor to be present. This format makes delivery more flexible with a greater choice of test dates and location, and with results being available in as little as 14 days.
Skills for English (UKVI) is offered through our network of PSI Authorised test centres and is available now in 122 countries around the world, except the UK.
- Wide availability of test centres and sessions
- Test levels matched exactly to visa type required
- A one-session test that is entirely computer-based with no examiner/assessor present
- Auto-marked reading and listening skills, with speaking and writing skills marked by expert assessors who do not see any of your personal details
Skills for English (UKVI): For Candidates
Simple, quick, affordable; Skills for English (UKVI) is a qualification that enables you to demonstrate your knowledge of English language for a range of purposes, including work, study or settlement.
With more choice of location, more choice of test dates for exam events, you can choose the test level you require, from beginner to mastery, for either two skills, speaking and listening, or four skills, speaking, listening, reading and writing. That way you know you are preparing for, and taking, precisely the level of test you need for your chosen purpose – no more, no less.
All Skills for English (UKVI) tests use computer-based delivery for all skills. Reading and listening are automatically marked during the test session itself; speaking and writing are recorded digitally during the test session and marked by trained assessors (who have no visibility of you candidate’s personal details) after the test is finished. This means you can move through each of the skills sections in turn in a single test session and receive your results in as little as 14 days.
Main Features and Advantages:
- Choose your level as per the Globally Accepted and Home Office Approved – CEFR Levels: CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) is the globally accepted and visa authority approved scale for Language Proficiency. PSI-SfE SELT is based on the CEFR.
- Students have to either opt for B1 or B2 Test: Depending upon the University/College’s requirement Students have to attempt either the B1 or B2 Test only for a Study Visa grant.
- Each Test is customized and tailor made: The B1 and B2 Tests will not have any questions that are meant to assess higher levels. This is not the case with IELTS or PTE. What this means is that, most students who are already at B1 or B2 level (IELTS 5 to 6.5) would not find it difficult to get the required pass score. This will ease their stress and anxiety and help them perform in the best way.
- No Band Scores: In PSI SfE SELT there are only two outcomes at B1 and B2 Levels – Pass or Pass with Merit. Usually if a student manages between 50% – 60% of correct answers; then the student test taker will get a score of Pass. A higher correct percentage will fetch a score of Pass with Merit.
- The Test is available in India at 12 locations across India: Currently the Test can be taken at any of the 12 active locations across India; mainly: Ahmedabad, Anand, Bangalore, Bharuch, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai, Pune, Thellakom, and Vadodara. Needless to say as time goes on we will find more such centers coming up.
- Easy to book: The booking process is online and easy to complete.
- More than 150 Universities in the UK, the US, Australia, Canada and New Zealand are accepting PSI-SfE-SELT(UKVI) and PSI-SfE-Global: See the complete list at https://skillsforenglish.com/partners/partners-education/
Skills for English (UKVI): For Advisors, Trainers and Educators
Not only is Skills for English (UKVI) simple, quick, and affordable for your students, but it has been designed it to make the process of organising your student’s tests and helping them achieve their visa application goals as intuitive and straightforward as possible for you too.
Skills for English is available to book though PSI’s global network of test centres and vouchers can be purchased through our voucher store with benefits for value and convenience for bulk purchases.
PSI are developing a comprehensive directory of learning materials and resources to help students prepare for Skills for English (UKVI), including test specifications, level diagnostics, practise tests, model answers and guides for adapting other SELT preparations for Skills for English (UKVI).
Approved by Home Office
Skills for English (UKVI) has the support and approval of the UK Home Office as an official Secure English Language Test (SELT) for UK Visa and Immigration purposes.
Skills for English (UKVI) is available at a corresponding level to each UK visa type, for both two skills, speaking and listening, and four skills, speaking, listening, reading and writing. Reading and listening skills are auto-marked during the test session, with speaking and writing skills marked by expert assessors afterwards.
The qualification that is assured by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA), an international leader in education and qualifications development.