study USA

United States (USA)

About USA

About USA

usamap min - About USA


The United States of America (USA), commonly referred to as the United States (US), America, and sometimes the States, is a federal republic consisting of 50 states and a federal district. The 48 contiguous states and Washington, D.C., are in central North America between Canada and Mexico.

The state of Alaska is the northwestern part of North America and the state of Hawaii is an archipelago in the mid-Pacific. The country also has five populated and nine unpopulated territories in the Pacific and the Caribbean. At 3.71 million square miles (9.62 million km2) and with around 318 million people, the United States is the world’s third or fourth-largest country by total area and third-largest by population. It is one of the world’s most ethnically diverse and multicultural nations, the product of large-scale immigration from many countries. The geography and climate of the United States is also extremely diverse, and it is home to a wide variety of wildlife.

More than 10 US cities are listed amongst the Top 100 QS Best Student Cities (2019).

The top student cities (and the state they are in) in America are:

  • Boston (MA)
  • New York (NY)
  • Los Angeles (CA)
  • San Francisco (CA)
  • Chicago (IL)
  • Atlanta (GA)
  • Philadelphia (PA)
  • Washington (DC)
  • Pittsburg (PA)
  • San Diego (CA)
  • Baltimore (MD)
  • Houston (TX)
  • Miami (FL)


United States of America
usa2 min - About USA


usa3 min - About USA

Great Seal

Anthem:The Star-Spangled Banner
usa4 300x135 min - About USA
The United States and its territories.
Capital Washington, D.C.

38°53′N 77°01′W

Largest city New York City

40°43′N 74°00′W

Official languages None at federal level
National language English
Demonym American
Government Federalpresidential constitutional republic
President Donald J Trump
Vice President Mike Pence(D)
Speaker of the House Paul Ryan(R)
Chief Justice John Glover Roberts Jr.
Legislature Congress
Upper house Senate
Lower house House of Representatives
Independence from Great Britain
Declared July 4, 1776
Recognized September 3,1783
Constitution June 21, 1788
Current Statehood August 21, 1959
Total 9,833,520 km2(3rd/4th 

3,796,742 sq mi

Water(%) 6.97
2019 estimate 328.23 million
Density 33.6/km2 (180th)

87/sq mi

GDP (PPP) 2020 estimate
Total $22.321 trillion
Per capita $67,426 (11th)
GDP(nominal) 2020 estimate
Total $22.321 trillion
Per capita $67,426 (7th)
HDI(2013) 0.920

very high·15th 

Currency United States dollar($)(USD)
Time zone (UTC−4 to −12), +10, +11
Summer(DST) (UTC−4 to −10)
Drives on the Right
Calling code +1
ISO 3166 code US
Internet TLD .us .gov .mil .edu
Date Format mm/dd/yyyy


Climate and Weather

The seasonal temperature lows and highs in some of the major US cities, spread across the country, are:

City, State or Territory Location within the US Winter (Jan–Mar) Spring (Apr–Jun) Summer (Jul–Sep) Autumn (Oct–Dec)
Atlanta (GA) Southeast 13 °C 26 °C 30 °C 15 °C
57 °F 80 °F 86 °F 60 °F
Baltimore (MD) Northeast 8 °C 23 °C 30 °C 12 °C
47 °F 75 °F 87 °F 55 °F
Boston (MA) Northeast 3 °C 20 °C 25 °C 10 °C
39 °F 68 °F 78 °F 50 °F
Chicago (IL) Central East 2 °C 21 °C 26 °C 8 °C
37 °F 70 °F 80 °F 48 °F
Houston (TX) Central South 18 °C 28 °C 33 °C 21 °C
65 °F 84 °F 93 °F 70 °F
Los Angeles (CA) Southwest 19 °C 21 °C 25 °C 21 °C
67 °F 70 °F 78 °F 70 °F
Miami (FL) Southeast 25°C 30 °C 32 °C 27 °C
78 °F 86 °F 90 °F 82 °F
New York (NY) Northeast 5 °C 22 °C 26 °C 12 °C
42 °F 72 °F 80 °F 55 °F
Philadelphia (PA) Northeast 7 °C 21 °C 25 °C 11 °C
45 °F 70 °F 78 °F 53 °F
San Francisco (CA) Northwest 18 °C 17 °C 18 °C 17 °C
66 °F 63 °F 65 °F 64 °F
Seattle (WA) Northwest 8 °C 17 °C 21 °C 11 °C
48 °F 64 °F 70 °F 52 °F
Washington (DC) Northeast 7 °C 23 °C 26 °C 12 °C
46 °F 75 °F 80 °F 54 °F


Why Study in USA?

Why Study in USA

Quality → Choice → Value → Flexibility

The United States has thousands of accredited colleges and universities renowned for quality, numerous programs of study, and flexibility to change fields of study and schools. The wide range of tuition and living costs makes the United States affordable for hundreds of thousands of international students each year. Whichever region you choose, you’re sure to find the right campus for you. Your journey to study in the United States begins today.

American colleges are still the number one choice for international students and have the highest number of world ranked universities. Studying in the USA gives you the chance to expand your career options, explore a huge and diverse nation, and learn from internationally-renowned teachers and researchers at US colleges and Graduate schools.

For many of the 500,000 international students who study in the USA each year, the freedom to choose and change subjects and schools is also a big advantage. You can begin your studies in a smaller US college, complete a two-year associate degree, and then transfer to a larger USA university for further study.

Are you looking to aggressively boost your career with a star-studded foreign degree? The number one destination for international students seeking to get a top-notch career edge is currently the United States of America. Do you dream of being a part of this international clan of expert and qualified professionals, who are well respected worldwide?

If yes, then here’s something that you might want to consider.

  • Commitment to Excellence:

One of the highest selling points of American education is perhaps its worldwide reputation of commitment to excellence. Only the best students around the world are admitted to the top schools in the US, where quality education is imparted to them by an expertly trained faculty. This quality education is thereby upheld year after year and the degrees that students attained in the US are not just widely recognized and accepted, but also widely respected around the world.

  • Brilliant Scope for Research:

If you are inclined toward academic research, the US is your perfect choice for higher education. You can get the opportunity to earn while you learn, when you enroll into an MS/PhD program. Your research grant will help support your personal needs by waiving your tuition and providing you with a stipend, while the intellectual challenges that you will overcome academically will certainly help satisfy your professional appetite. Funding and grants for most research projects at the university are obtained from either the federal government or reputed multinational corporations in the industry.

  •  Academic Flexibility:

You will soon discover that the education system in the US is a lot different from your home country. The US education system offers a kind of flexibility in terms of the courses that are offered, which enables you select your choice of subject from a variety of topics. You can now specialize in the area of your choice without having to take any unnecessary classes. You also have the flexibility to choose a class at any time during the academic year, since some courses are offered multiple times during the academic year. The quarterly or semester system gives you flexibility to complete your academic program at your own pace and take additional time on a research project if required. For instance, if you can complete the total number of courses required for you to graduate, you can finish up your master’s degree within a year. You can also spread out your course completion schedule in such a manner as to devote more time for research and complete your course in a couple of years.

  • Financial Support:

Availability of financial aid is another major incentive for international students to opt for higher education in the US. Most universities offer its students grants, loans and stipends to cover their daily expenses as well as tuition in some cases. University assistantship is provided on the basis of merit rather than financial need. If you can prove your excellence in academics, then your US education may even turn out to be free. Otherwise, obtaining grants and loans from banks is also easy if you can provide proof of your admission. On-campus work programs are also available for students who qualify for a specific kind of job. For instance, if you have a humanities major, you can seek employment at the library. If you are certified lifeguard, you can work at the Aquatic Center.

  • Lucrative Job Opportunities:

On completion of your degree, you are legally authorized to work in the US in your related field for about a year. You need to apply for Optional Practical Training Employment Authorization (OPT). Most international students get inducted into the company that hires them during their OPT period, by sponsoring their H1-B or work visa. The H1-B work visa is usually granted by employers if they are hiring international students in specialty areas such as software, engineering, accountancy, teaching or marketing. Once your employer grants your H1-B, you are allowed to work in the US without returning to your home country.

  • Value Addition and Cultural Enhancement:

Around 30 percent of all international students in the world study in the US. So, as an international student, you will have the unique privilege to interact with a lot of people from a lot of different nationalities. This exposure will not only enhance your cultural and artistic faculties, but will also help you learn a lot more about the world. The exciting cultural exchange and international diversity will certainly enrich your life both personally and academically. Your new friends will be your new family.

Education System in USA

Education System in USA

1. Types of Educational Institutions

If you are planning to study in the USA, there are many types of colleges and universities, each having its own mission and purpose within American Education.

  • Community  Colleges 
  • Public Universities  
  • Private Universities  
  • Ivy Leagues 

Community Colleges

  • Two-year community colleges usually offer the associates degree such as an Associate of Arts (AA) or Associate of Science (AS). 
  • Community colleges often have open admissions policies with low tuition. 
  • These institutions offer academic, technical and vocational degrees. Provide Certificates, Diplomas & Associate Degrees. 
  • Some community colleges have automatic enrollment agreements with a local 4 year college or University where the community college provides the first two years of study and the University provides the remaining two years of study. These programs are often called 2 + 2 programs. 
  • Represented Colleges: – American Honors (8-Community Colleges), San Mateo  Colleges of Silicon Valley, Seattle Central Community College

Public Universities

  • State Funded Institutions. 

Not for profit and financially supported by Public Taxes.  University offers Bachelors , Masters and Doctorate courses.  Usually large in Size. 

All levels of degrees with different fields of study are offered. 

  • Ranked Universities : 

University of Texas at Austin, Georgia Institute of Technology, University of Florida –  Gainesville, University of California – Berkeley, University of Maryland, College Park. 

  • Represented Public Universities in order of ranking are:- 

The University of Maryland, Baltimore County, George Mason University, Colorado State University, Oregon State  University, University of South Florida, University of Nebraska – Lincoln, University of  Cincinnati, Auburn University, Montana State University, San Jose State University, San  Francisco State University, Tennessee Tech University, Kent State University, University of  Idaho, Wright State University, Wichita State University, Murray State University, California  State University East Bay and Fresno, Pittsburg State University and many more. 

Private Universities

  • These Universities are not State funded. 
  • Tuition fees are higher. 
  • Even all ranked Ivy Leagues are Private.  
  • The tuition fees are almost the same for  Domestic as well as International students. 
  • Ranked Private Universities : Harvard University, Stanford University,  MIT, Carnegie Mellon University. 

Represented Universities :- Brandeis University International Business School, Long Island  University-Brooklyn, Long Island University-C.W. Post, University of New Haven, University of  St. Thomas, University of Bridgeport, California Lutheran University, Golden Gate University,  University of Mary Hardin Baylor, Dallas Baptist University, Oklahoma City University, Upper  Iowa University, City University of Seattle, Hult International Business School & many more.

The Ivy Leagues

  • Oldest & most famous in the USA. 
  • Located mainly in the Northeastern part of the USA. 
  • Known for their Business School also have many  graduate & professional schools. 
  • Tuition fees at these private schools is among the  highest in the country. 
  • Admission is highly competitive. 
  • Institutions :- University of Pennsylvania, Harvard University, Yale University,  Princeton University, Brown University, Dartmouth College , Cornell University  & Columbia University.

What is ivy league?

Ivy League colleges are often viewed as the gold standard of colleges in the US and worldwide. 

8 members

The eight members are Brown UniversityColumbia UniversityCornell UniversityDartmouth CollegeHarvard University, the University of PennsylvaniaPrinceton University, and Yale UniversityIvy League has connotations of academic excellenceselectivity in admissions, and social elitism.


  • Brown University – Providence, rhode Island
  • Columbia University – New York city, New York
  • Cornell University – Ithaca, New York
  • Dartmouth College –  Hanover, New Hampshire
  • Harvard University – Cambridge , Massachusetts.
  • Princeton University – Princeton, New Jersey
  • University of Pennsylvania – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
  • Yale University – New Haven, Connecticut

How to Decide Which Ivy League School Is Right for You

Many of the Ivy League schools are extremely similar. They’re private schools of similar sizes with excellent academic reputations. In addition, they are all located in the same region of the US, they all have large endowments, and they all tend to offer generous financial aid.

 four factors to keep in mind as you research the Ivy League:

#1: Setting

One of the biggest differences between Ivy League schools is their settings.-urban, suburban or rural.

The urban Ivy League schools include Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Brown, and the University of Pennsylvania. However, they’re all in cities of very different types and sizes. 

In terms of urban environments, Columbia is in New York City—the most densely populated city in the US—while UPenn is situated in Philadelphia, another large city.

By contrast, Brown is in the small city of Providence, Rhode Island, offering a much more subdued environment. Similarly, Harvard is in a college town called Cambridge, which is located just outside of Boston. And Yale is located in New Haven, Connecticut, which has a population of just 130,000 compared with the roughly 8.4 million people in NYC.

Princeton is the only Ivy League school in a suburban setting. It’s more self-contained and the surrounding area is quieter than those of other Ivies. 

Cornell and Dartmouth offer students a rural environment, where students are surrounded by nature and there’s not much going on in the town unrelated to the college.

#2: Academic Programs, Majors, and Requirements

While all Ivy League schools are strong in the humanities, social sciences, and STEM, each offers different programs, general education requirements, majors, and concentrations.

Cornell is the only Ivy to offer a business management program with a focus on hospitality through its School of Hotel Administration. Meanwhile, Penn is home to one of the most prestigious business schools in the US and offers a number of undergraduate business majors that aren’t available at other Ivies. 

Lastly, Columbia has extensive general education requirements in its Core Curriculum, whereas Brown has very few.

compare the majors and course offerings at the different Ivies to ensure that you’ll be able to pursue your academic interests.

#3: Size

The size of the school is a factor to consider as well. While most Ivy League schools are similar in size, there are some differences to be aware of. If you’re deciding between Cornell and Dartmouth, for instance, keep in mind that Cornell’s undergraduate enrollment is about three times the size of Dartmouth’s. While some students prefer a larger, more vibrant atmosphere, others would enjoy a smaller, more tight-knit community.

#4: Campus Culture

Different Ivy League schools have different reputations in regard to the types of students they attract and admit. Princeton students are often viewed as more preppy, for example, whereas Brown students are perceived as more progressive

2. Degrees and Educational Levels

Many of the terms below have fairly standard meanings from one country to another; however, some tend to be little used outside the U.S.

Associate’s Degree: A degree granted for successfully completing at least two years of undergraduate study in a prescribed academic program. Associate’s degrees are awarded by community, technical, and tribal colleges and by some programs in four-year institutions.

Bachelor’s Degree (or Baccalaureate Degree): A degree awarded for completion of a prescribed academic program (generally four years or longer) of college or university study. In some academic fields at some institutions completion of the degree may require five years. In a number of other countries the counterpart undergraduate degree is based on three years of postsecondary study. (Typically in such countries, however, students must complete thirteen years of primary and secondary education before entering the university, as opposed to twelve in the U.S.) The two most common baccalaureate degrees are the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) and Bachelor of Science (B.S.). The former typically requires more breadth of course work and the latter more specialization.

Master’s Degree: A graduate degree designed to require one to two years of full-time (or equivalent) post-baccalaureate study. The M.A. (Master of Arts) is granted in the largest number of disciplines; different fields of study have their own degree designations, such as M.Ed. (Master of Education); M.S. (Master of Science); M.P.H. (Master of Public Health) or M.B.A. (Master of Business Administration).

Doctoral Degree (or Doctorate): The highest level of graduate degree granted in certain academic fields in U.S. higher education. Typically requires four to six years or more of post-baccalaureate study with a dissertation as a capstone. The most common doctorate, called the “Doctor of Philosophy” (Ph.D.), is awarded in a large number of disciplines, not exclusively philosophy. Several fields of study, such as Doctor of Medicine (M.D.); Doctor of Law (Juris Doctorate or LL.D.); and Education (Ed.D) have their own doctoral degree designations.

Dual Degree: Two degrees awarded to a single student by two different institutions by way of a formal articulation program between the institutions. The curriculum of the dual-degree program may be under the direction of a joint program faculty, with equal representation from each participating institution, or curriculum may be the separate responsibility of each institution.

Terms Used: 

Certificate: A non-degree recognition that a student has completed a prescribed program or set of requirements.

Class Standing: A student’s year in school or status (first-year student, sophomore, junior, or senior) based on the student’s progression (amount of time and/or number of credits) towards finishing degree requirements.

Degree: An academic title awarded by an institution to a student who successfully completes a prescribed program of studies

Degree-Seeking Student: A student who has been admitted to, and is enrolled at, an educational institution in a status designed to lead to a degree.

Fifth-Year Senior: A student who has completed more than four years of undergraduate studies but has not graduated. Some bachelor’s degree programs, for example, in engineering, may require five years of coursework to complete.

First-Year Student (synonymous with, and gaining currency over, Freshman): A first-year undergraduate student. Often defined operationally in terms of number of credits or courses the student has completed (for example, less than 1/4 of the credits needed to finish a four year program). Definitions vary slightly from institution to institution

Gap Year: An extra year that some students take between high school graduation and the beginning of higher education studies. Students sometimes use such a year for international work, internships, volunteering, or study.

Graduate Student: A student enrolled in a program of study leading to a degree beyond the baccalaureate level.

Graduate Study: Most often used broadly to describe any study leading to a degree beyond the baccalaureate level. Sometimes, however, it is defined more narrowly to include only those fields whose students are enrolled in an institution’s Graduate School and to exclude those students enrolled in separately organized professional schools, such as a law school or medical school.

Joint Degree: A degree jointly offered and jointly awarded by more than one institution. A joint degree program leads to a single credential or degree conferred by all participating institutions. All institutions share responsibility for all aspects of the program’s delivery and quality. The curriculum of the joint degree program is under the direction of a joint program faculty, with representation from each participating institution.

Junior: A third-year undergraduate student. Often defined in terms of credits completed (for example, between 1/2 and 3/4 of a four-year program).

Leave of Absence: A formally arranged period of time taken away from college or university as a break from studies. Institutions have requirements detailing how long a student may be gone and how to re-enroll.

Non-Degree Student (sometimes also referred to as Non-Matriculated Student): A student who is enrolled in classes but has not been admitted to the institution in a degree-seeking status. Degree-granting institutions that permit students from other institutions to participate in their study abroad programs typically choose to place visiting students in non-degree status. Students on reciprocal student exchange programs are also usually considered non-degree students at their host institutions.

Postgraduate Education: Education beyond the terminal degree (for example, Ph.D., J.D., or M.D.). Although this is the most common definition in the U.S., in some other systems (for example, British) the term means education beyond the undergraduate degree.

Professional Degree: A post-baccalaureate degree in a field such as medicine, business, law, the fine and performing arts.

Professional Student:1) A student pursuing professional study specifically at the post-baccalaureate level (as in “graduate and professional students”; see Professional Study). 2) A student pursuing professional study at any level, including undergraduate. 3) A colloquial term describing a student at any level who has been a student for much longer than is typically required for his/her desired degree.

Professional Study: A program of university-level study designed to train students for a specific profession such as engineering, teaching, law, medicine, or architecture.

Retention Rate:1) Percentage of students who remain enrolled (or who earn a degree) at the end of a defined period of time. 2) In the field of education abroad, there are two additional usages of the term: a) the number of students who participate in an education abroad program as a percentage of those who originally inquired about it, or who applied, or who were accepted for participation; or b) the percentage of students who remain at their home institution and complete their degree after their education abroad experience

Senior: An undergraduate student in the fourth year or later, often defined in terms of credits completed (for example, at least 3/4 of a four-year program).

Sophomore: A second-year undergraduate student, often defined in terms of credits completed (for example, between 1/4 and 1/2 of a four-year program).

Stop Out: To take a leave of absence with the intent to resume studies shortly.

Terminal Degree: The highest degree offered in a particular field of study.

Time to Graduation: Number of semesters, trimesters, quarters, or years it takes a student to finish his/her degree requirements.

Transfer Student: A student enrolled at an institution who has previously pursued study at the same level (for example, undergraduate) at one or more other institutions of higher education. The term applies regardless of whether the current institution accepts any degree credit from the previous institution(s).

Undergraduate Student: A student enrolled in a baccalaureate or associate degree program.

Undergraduate Study: Study toward a baccalaureate or associate’s degree.

3. Credit and Instruction

The terms below include those related to the administrative aspects of coursework offered by U.S. institutions of higher education.

Academic Credit: A defined measure of academic accomplishment that is used to determine a student’s progress toward a degree, a certificate, or other formal academic recognition. In the U.S., credit is most commonly counted as credit hours (or credits or units at some institutions) that are assigned to each course. Some institutions count courses rather than credit.

Accreditation: A process of reviewing a school’s programs and academics to ensure that quality programs are delivered and meet established standards. The accreditation process, conducted by external reviewers, may include reviews of a school’s mission, faculty qualifications, curricula, institutional self-evaluations, peer reviews, committee reviews, and suggestions for improvement. External reviewers and processes are determined through evaluation by recognized agencies (in the U.S.) or the Ministry of Education (in many other countries).

Accredited: An adjective applied to institutions, schools, departments, or programs that have completed an accreditation process as determined by an accrediting board, organization, or ministry.

A-F Grading: The most common U.S. grading scale, in which A is the highest grade and F is a failing grade. Some institutions add +’s and —‘s to the grades of A, B, C, D, and/or F, and a few grant intermediate grades (for example, AB to indicate a grade half-way between A and B). There is no E in most U.S. grading systems.

Audit: To take a course without the possibility of academic credit. Also used as a noun (“I took the course as an audit”).

Capstone: A culminating scholarly activity or course designed to integrate the student’s learning and activities within a particular field or major department. In U.S. higher education, students are often required to produce a capstone project or thesis in their final year of study.

Co-Curricular: Activities, programs or events that complement or enhance curricular programming or goals. Co-curricular activities and programs are typically non-academic in nature, but relate other activities and experiences to the established curriculum or pedagogy. These can be either intentionally offered by the program or institution, or can be student-initiated and driven.

Course Description: A brief narrative description of the subject content of an academic course (“course” in the U.S. sense of the term).

Course Load: The number of courses for which a student is registered during a specified period of time. At some U.S. institutions all courses have the same weight (or number of credit hours), and a student’s load is measured by courses rather than credits.

Credit by Evaluation: Academic credit that is assessed and awarded for students’ experiences (academic, work, life experiences, or other). May be used by some institutions to award credit for learning achieved on non-accredited study abroad programs, or other overseas living experiences, for which the home institution will not grant transfer credit.

Credit by Exam: Credit awarded by an institution on the basis of an exam that evaluates a student’s proficiency in the subject matter (for example, language proficiency). Some institutions allow students to use this mechanism to earn credit for learning on non-accredited study abroad programs.

Credit Conversion: The process of determining the number of credits an institution should award to a student for courses taken abroad or at another U.S. institution with a different credit system (for example, quarter credits can be converted to semester credits, or European credits to U.S. credits).

Credit Load: The number of credit hours for which a student is registered in a specified period of time. At some U.S. institutions all courses have the same weight (or number of credit hours), and a student’s load is measured by courses rather than credits.

Curricular: Pertaining to the academic programming offered by an educational institution or program. In the education abroad context, curricular activities are those that are directly associated with academic work.

Curriculum:1) A set of expectations and requirements for an overall program of study. 2) A collection of course offerings for a specific program of study (such as a degree program or a study abroad program).

Distance Education: A mode of delivering academic programming away from the campus, or at least away from the classroom, through such means as television, Internet, correspondence courses, CD-ROMs, etc.

Extracurricular: Activities outside the regular academic curriculum of the program or institution. Includes co-curricular activities as well as activities unrelated to the educational mission of the program or institution.

Full Load:1) The number of courses or credits a student must take in order to graduate within the expected number of years (four years in most undergraduate programs, which would typically require 15 credits per semester or quarter). 2) The minimum number of courses or credits a student must carry in order to be eligible for full financial aid and other benefits allowed only to full-time students. At many institutions a full load for financial aid purposes is smaller (typically, 12 credits per semester) than a full load by the first definition.

Full-Time Status: Status of a student enrolled in a full load of courses as identified by a particular institution.

Grade Conversion: The process by which an institution translates a grade earned abroad, or at another U.S. institution with a different grading system, to an equivalent grade of its own.

Grade Point Average (or GPA): A value given to the average grade a student achieved for a particular period of time (for example, term or degree program). The most common system of calculating GPA in the U.S. uses a four-point scale in which 4, 3, 2, 1, and 0 points are assigned to each credit of A, B, C, D, and F, respectively. Pluses or minuses (for example, A+ or B—) are generally assigned intermediate values (for example, 3.67 for an A—, 3.33 for a B+). A smaller number of institutions use other scales for calculating a student’s GPA; in the U.S. a small minority of institutions do not calculate the GPA.

Grade Report:1) List of students and their grades prepared by a course instructor and turned in to the responsible authority for posting on the students’ transcripts. 2) Document produced by an educational institution or agency showing the courses, credits, and grades earned by a student at that institution/agency, usually for a brief period of study, such as a quarter or semester. It may be a semi official document, but it is only for the personal use of the student and/or internal use at an institution of higher education. The only truly official academic record at a college or university is the transcript. Some institutions do award resident credit for study abroad on an affiliated program based on a grade report from the provider, however.

Graduate Credit:Academic credit that is potentially applicable to a graduate-level degree. In most course numbering systems graduate courses bear numbers above 500 or above 5000.

Incomplete:Grade indicating the student has not completed requirements for a course, but still has the opportunity to do so. Usually indicated on a transcript as a grade of “I.” At some institutions an “I” automatically becomes an F after a specified period of time if the student does not complete the missing coursework.

Independent Study (or Directed Study):Academic work carried out by a student, on his or her own, outside of a class setting. Normally, contact hours for such courses take the form of individual consultation between student and faculty, and the student work is most often research.

Lower Division Credit:Credit awarded for a course designed primarily for first- and second-year undergraduates. In most course numbering systems such courses bear numbers between 100 and 299 or between 1000 and 2999.

Non-accredited:Either not evaluated by a recognized higher education accrediting agency or not meeting an agency’s standards. See: Accredited.

Non-credit:Coursework or co-curricular activities for which students do not earn academic credit

Pass-Fail Grading (or Pass/No Pass grading, or S/N grading for Satisfactory/Not Satisfactory):A grading scale that simply notes whether a student passed or failed the course. The requirements of a “pass” grade are determined by the awarding body. The manner in which the pass-fail grades are handled varies by institution and sometimes even by discipline. Some fully count the credit whereas others put limits on how it can be used.

Pedagogy:1) The science and theory behind the practice of teaching. 2) Teaching techniques/approaches used by an instructor.

Resident Credit: Academic credit earned at an institution by a student who is in a degree program at that institution. An institution may designate credit earned on approved study abroad programs to be resident credit. Some institutions allow grades earned on an approved study abroad program to count in the student’s GPA, although institutional policies vary in this respect.

Syllabus:detailed summary of the content and requirements of an academic course. A syllabus typically includes such things as course objectives, lecture or discussion topics, assigned and optional readings, writing assignments, and evaluation criteria.

Transcript (or Grade Transcript):Document produced by an educational institution showing the courses, credits, grades, and degrees earned by a specific student at that institution. Most institutions issue both official transcripts (produced on official paper and/or with official seals, and often mailed directly to another institution) and unofficial transcripts (often issued directly to the student on ordinary paper).

Transfer Credit: Academic credit earned at another institution and accepted in lieu of resident credit toward the degree at a student’s home institution. Grades earned usually do not count in the student’s GPA. Each institution sets its own limit on the number of transfer credit hours that can be accepted.

Undergraduate Credit: Academic credit that will apply toward a degree, certificate, or other formal academic recognition for a student completing a program that is at the baccalaureate level or lower.

Upper Division Credit:Credit awarded for a course designed primarily for juniors and seniors. In most course numbering systems such courses bear numbers between 300 and 499 or between 3000 and 4999.

Withdrawal:Grade indicating a student officially dropped a course and will earn no credit. Usually indicated on a transcript as  W. Does not affect the student’s GPA.

4. Classes and Courses

This section addresses terms that have multiple meanings in multiple countries. It aims to provide guidance to overseas professionals working with U.S. undergraduates.

Class: 1) All instances of a regularly scheduled meeting when a particular group of students are instructed in a designated subject or topic. Successful completion of the class based on faculty assessment results in the awarding of credit(s) toward a student’s graduation. 2) Any single meeting time of a regularly scheduled class as described in the first definition. 3) A student cohort that completed or is scheduled to complete degree requirements simultaneously (for example, “the Class of 2015”).

Contact Hour: An hour of scheduled instruction given to students. In many systems of accounting, a contact hour actually consists of 50 minutes. In typical U.S. systems, one semester credit requires 15 contact hours and one quarter credit requires 10 contact hours per week.

Course: 1) An individual class (see the first definition of class above; for example, “I need five courses in history to graduate”). This is the most common use of the term in the U.S. system. 2) The degree-seeking process as a whole (for example, “My course of study was history.”). This usage is secondary in the U.S. but primary in a number of other Anglophone countries.

Cross-Listing: Assigning the same offering of a course to more than one academic department or discipline, or to more than one level. For example, a student might have the option of registering for a course on History of Argentina for History credit or for Latin American Studies credit; or a course might be available at either the lower division or the upper division level (with some differences in course requirements between the two).

Discipline: An area of academic study or branch of knowledge that constitutes a field unto itself. Examples include accounting, agronomy, art history, electrical engineering, political science, and social work, etc. Disciplines in turn are often grouped under broader designations according to their subject, such as business, engineering, fine arts, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences. “Multidisciplinary” or “interdisciplinary” courses or research combine the subject areas of more than one discipline.

Double Degree (or Dual Degree): 1) Pursuit of two different degrees simultaneously at the same institution (for example, a B.A. degree with an anthropology major and a B.S. degree in mechanical engineering). 2) Pursuit of degrees simultaneously from two cooperating institutions (sometimes in different countries), whether in the same or different fields. In either case the double degree typically takes less time than would the two if pursued entirely independently.

Double Major: Pursuit of two majors simultaneously (for example, “She has a double major in Spanish and international relations”). Also used as a verb (“He is double-majoring in agronomy and cell biology”).

Elective (or Elective Course): A course that counts toward the total number of credits needed for graduation but does not fulfill more specific degree requirements (such as major or minor or general education requirements). Sometimes used also within a major or minor to indicate a course that fills a general major requirement but not a specific one. (For example, a political science major might require one course in political philosophy, one course in American politics, one course in comparative politics, and one elective in political science.)

General Education (or Liberal Education or Liberal Arts Education): The academic tradition in U.S. undergraduate education that requires students not only to have a primary course of study, but also to take classes in a variety of different “core” disciplines (humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, fine arts, etc.). The goal is to foster student learning earmarked by reflecting both “depth” and “breadth.”

Hour of Student Effort: An hour spent by a student on work designed to fulfill course requirements. Hours of student effort include not only contact hours, but also hours spent on such activities as course-related reading, research, and writing for term papers, as well as field work, field trips, and studying for exams, etc. In typical U.S. systems faculty are urged to design their courses so that an average student invests about 45 hours of effort per semester credit (normally consisting of 15 contact hours plus 30 hours out of class), or 30 hours per quarter credit (10 and 20, respectively).

Major: The field of study that comprises an undergraduate’s academic specialization while at university/college. In the U.S. system of higher education, students typically “declare” a major within the first two years of their undergraduate careers. Majors tend to require 10–12 courses in a specific discipline or area of knowledge. Used also as a verb (“I am majoring in psychology”).

Minor: A field of study that reflects an emphasis within a student’s academic career, but is not as comprehensive or encompassing as a major. Minors tend to require four to five courses in a specific discipline or area of knowledge. Used also as a verb (“I plan to minor in chemistry”).

Online Course: A course offered via the Internet, whether by a traditional physical institution with a campus or an entirely online, or virtual, institution.

Prerequisites: Those classes that must be taken by a student before admission into advanced classes are permitted.

Subject: Used interchangeably with either major (“Her subject at college was history”) or discipline (“The subject of the class was history”).

5. Academic Calendars

There is no national academic calendar in the U.S.; individual institutions usually determine their own calendars. The following are the calendar systems and elements most commonly used by U.S. higher education institutions.

4-1-4 System: Semester system that includes a fall semester, spring semester and a three- to five-week term between fall and spring semesters, so that spring semester begins later than in a typical semester system. In some 4-1-4 systems the extra term is required for graduation; in others it is optional or is required only for a specified number of years.

January Term (or J-Term, or Intersession): The shorter term between fall and spring semesters. Some institutions on this calendar require the J-term for graduation; at others it is optional or is required only for a specified number of years.

4-4-1 System: Semester system similar to the 4-1-4 system except that the three- to four-week term (sometimes called Maymester or May Term), almost always optional, comes after spring semester, typically in May.

Modular System (or Block System): A relatively uncommon academic calendar in which students take just one course at a time. One block, or term, usually lasts three or four weeks.

Quarter System: Academic calendar consisting of three periods during the regular academic year, each typically 10 to 11 weeks in duration, plus one or more summer periods that typically are optional and operate with reduced enrollments. In the most common variant, fall quarter runs from late September to mid-December, winter quarter from early January to mid-March, and spring quarter from late March to mid-June. Students normally must complete twelve quarters of full-time study or the equivalent to obtain a four-year undergraduate degree in the U.S.

Semester System: Academic calendar consisting of two terms during the regular academic year, typically 14 to 16 weeks each in duration. Usually fall semester begins in late August or early September and finishes in mid-December or later; spring semester typically begins in early to mid-January and ends in late April to mid-May. There may also be one or more summer sessions, which usually are optional and shorter than semesters. Students typically must complete eight semesters of full-time study or the equivalent to obtain a four-year undergraduate degree in the U.S. This is the most common academic calendar among U.S. institutions of higher education.

Summer Session (or Summer School): A period of study during the summer that is shorter than a semester and is not considered part of the regular academic year. Some institutions divide the summer into two or more sessions.

Trimester System: Academic calendar consisting of three terms during the regular academic year, each typically 10 to 11 weeks in duration. Unlike in the Quarter System, typically there is not a summer session. Students normally must complete twelve quarters of full-time study or the equivalent to obtain a four-year undergraduate degree in the U.S.

6. Grading System

Just like American students, you will have to submit your academic transcripts as part of your application for admission to university or college. Academic transcripts are official copies of your academic work. In the U.S. this includes your “grades” and “grade point average” (GPA), which are measurements of your academic achievement. Courses are commonly graded using percentages, which are converted into letter grades.

The grading system and GPA in the U.S. can be confusing, especially for international students. The interpretation of grades has a lot of variation. For example, two students who attended different schools both submit their transcripts to the same university. They both have 3.5 GPAs, but one student attended an average high school, while the other attended a prestigious school that was academically challenging. The university might interpret their GPAs differently because the two schools have dramatically different standards.

Therefore, there are some crucial things to keep in mind:

  • You should find out the U.S. equivalent of the last level of education you completed in your home country.
  • Pay close attention to the admission requirements of each university and college, as well as individual degree programs, which may have different requirements than the university.
  • Regularly meet with an educational advisor or guidance counselor to make sure you are meeting the requirements.

Your educational advisor or guidance counselor will be able to advise you on whether or not you must spend an extra year or two preparing for U.S. university admission. If an international student entered a U.S. university or college prior to being eligible to attend university in their own country, some countries’ governments and employers may not recognize the students’ U.S. education.

List of Universities/Colleges


Click here to download list: List of Universities/Colleges

Top 10 universities in the US (THE/WSJ US College Ranking 2020)

WSJ/THE US College Rank 2020 University City State
1 Harvard University Cambridge Massachusetts
2 Massachusetts Institute of Technology Cambridge Massachusetts
3 Yale University New Haven Connecticut
4 University of Pennsylvania Philadelphia Pennsylvania
=5 California Institute of Technology Pasadena California
=5 Princeton University Princeton  New Jersey
=7 Brown University Providence Rhode Island
=7 Stanford University Stanford California
9 Cornell University Ithaca New York
10 Duke University Durham  North Carolina

Top 10 Most Popular US Universities and Colleges for International Students

1 University of Southern California Los Angeles, CA
2 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Champaign, IL
3 Purdue University West Lafayette, IN
4 New York University New York, NY
5 Columbia University New York, NY
6 University of California – Los Angeles Los Angeles, CA
7 Northwestern University Evanston, IL
8 University of Michigan – Ann Arbor Ann Arbor, MI
9 Michigan State University East Lansing, MI
10 Pennsylvania State University University Park, PA

Top universities in the United States 2021 

World University Rank 2021  US Rank 2021 University City State
1 Stanford University Stanford California
2 Harvard University Cambridge Massachusetts
3 California Institute of Technology Pasadena California
4 Massachusetts Institute of Technology Cambridge Massachusetts
5 University of California, Berkeley Berkeley California
6 Yale University New Haven Connecticut
7 Princeton University Princeton New Jersey
10  8 University of Chicago Chicago Illinois
12  9 Johns Hopkins University Baltimore Maryland
13  10 University of Pennsylvania Philadelphia Pennsylvania
15  11 University of California, Los Angeles Los Angeles California
17  12 Columbia University New York City New York
19  13 Cornell University Ithaca New York
=20  14 Duke University Durham North Carolina
22  15 University of Michigan-Ann Arbor Ann Arbor Michigan
24  16 Northwestern University Evanston Illinois
26  17 New York University New York City New York
28  18 Carnegie Mellon University Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
29  19 University of Washington Seattle Washington
33  20 University of California, San Diego San Diego California
38  21 Georgia Institute of Technology Atlanta Georgia
44  22 University of Texas at Austin Austin Texas
48  23 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Champaign Illinois
49  24 University of Wisconsin-Madison Madison Wisconsin
50  25 Washington University in St Louis St. Louis Missouri
53  26 University of Southern California Los Angeles California
=54  27 Boston University Boston Massachusetts
=56  28 University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Chapel Hill North Carolina
61  29 Brown University Providence Rhode Island
=64  30 University of California, Davis Davis California
68  31 University of California, Santa Barbara Santa Barbara California
=80  32 Ohio State University (Main campus) Columbus Ohio
=85  =33 Emory University Atlanta Georgia
=85  =33 University of Minnesota Minneapolis Minnesota
90  35 University of Maryland, College Park College Park Maryland
=94  36 Purdue University West Lafayette West Lafayette Indiana
=98  37 University of California, Irvine Irvine California
=101  38 Dartmouth College Hanover New Hampshire
105  39 Michigan State University East Lansing Michigan
=111  40 Vanderbilt University Nashville Tennessee
=114  41 Penn State (Main campus) State College Pennsylvania
117  42 University of Virginia (Main campus) Charlottesville Virginia
120  43 Georgetown University   Washington D.C
=121  44 Case Western Reserve University Cleveland Ohio
=124  45 University of Arizona Tucson Arizona
=124  =45 Rice University Houston Texas
=131  47 University of Colorado Boulder Boulder Colorado
=133  48 University of Pittsburgh-Pittsburgh campus Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
=140  49 Indiana University Bloomington Indiana
=147  50 University of Rochester Rochester (NY) New York
=152  51 University of Florida Gainesville Florida
=155  52 Tufts University Medford Massachusetts
166  53 Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey New Brunswick New Jersey
169  54 University of Alabama at Birmingham Birmingham Alabama
=170  55 University of Notre Dame Notre Dame Indiana
=176  56 Northeastern University Boston Massachusetts
=184  57 Arizona State University (Tempe) Tempe Arizona
=187  58 George Washington University   Washington D.C
197  59 Texas A&M University College Station Texas
201–250  =60 Brandeis University Waltham Massachusetts
201–250  =60 University of California, Santa Cruz Santa Cruz California
201–250  =60 University of Hawai’i at Mānoa Honolulu Hawai’i
201–250  =60 Howard University   Washington D.C
201–250  =60 University of Iowa Iowa City Iowa
201–250  =60 University of Massachusetts Amherst, Boston, Dartmouth, Lowell, Worcester Massachusetts
201–250  =60 University of Miami Coral Gables Florida
201–250  =60 University of South Florida (Tampa) Tampa Florida
201–250  =60 University of Utah Salt Lake City Utah
201–250  =60 Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Blacksberg Virginia
251–300  =70 University at Buffalo Buffalo New York
251–300  =70 University of California, Riverside Riverside California
251–300  =70 University of Cincinnati Cincinnati Ohio
251–300  =70 Florida State University Tallahassee Florida
251–300  =70 George Mason University Fairfax Virginia
251–300  =70 University of Illinois at Chicago Chicago Illinois
251–300  =70 University of New Mexico (Main campus) Albuquerque New Mexico
251–300  =70 Nova Southeastern University Davie Florida
251–300  =70 Oregon Health and Science University Portland Oregon
251–300  =70 State University of New York Albany Albany New York
251–300  =70 Wake Forest University Winston-Salem North Carolina
251–300  =70 William & Mary Williamsburg Virginia
301–350  =82 Boston College Boston  Massachusetts
301–350  =82 University of California, Merced Merced California
301–350  =82 University of Colorado Denver Denver Colorado
301–350  =82 University of Delaware Newark (DE) Delaware
301–350  =82 Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago Illinois
301–350  =82 North Carolina State University Raleigh North Carolina
301–350  =82 University of Oregon Eugene Oregon
301–350  =82 Rush University Chicago Illinois
301–350  =82 Stony Brook University Stony Brook New York
301–350  =82 Syracuse University Syracuse New York
301–350  =82 Temple University Philadelphia Pennsylvania
301–350  =82 The University of Tennessee-Knoxville Knoxville Texas
301–350  =82 University of Texas at Dallas Richardson Texas
301–350  =82 Tulane University New Orleans Louisiana
301–350  =82 Washington State University Pullman Washington
351–400  =97 Drexel University Philadelphia Pennsylvania
351–400  =97 University of Kansas Lawrence Kansas
351–400  =97 Wayne State University Detroit Michigan
401–500  =97 University of Alaska Fairbanks Fairbanks Alaska
401–500  =97 American University   Washington D.C
401–500  =97 Clark University Worcester Massachusetts
401–500  =97 Colorado School of Mines Golden Colorado
401–500  =97 Colorado State University, Fort Collins Fort Collins Colorado
401–500  =97 University of Connecticut Mansfield Connecticut
401–500  =97 University of Denver Denver Colorado
401–500  =97 Florida International University Miami Florida
401–500  =97 University of Georgia Athens Georgia
401–500  =97 Georgia State University Atlanta Georgia
401–500  =97 Iowa State University Ames Iowa
401–500  =97 University of Kentucky Lexington Kentucky
401–500  =97 University of Missouri-Columbia Columbia Missouri
401–500  =97 Missouri University of Science and Technology Rolla Missouri
401–500  =97 University of Nebraska-Lincoln Lincoln Nebraska
401–500  =97 Oklahoma State University Stillwater Oklahoma
401–500  =97 Oregon State University Corvallis Oregon
401–500  =97 University of South Carolina-Columbia Columbia South Carolina
401–500  =97 University of Tulsa Tulsa Oklahoma
501–600  =119 Binghamton University, State University of New York Binghamton New York
501–600  =119 Hofstra University Hempstead New York
501–600  =119 University of Houston Houston Texas
501–600  =119 Louisiana State University Baton Rouge Louisiana
501–600  =119 University of Montana Missoula Montana
501–600  =119 University of Nebraska Medical Center Omaha Nebraska
501–600  =119 New Jersey Institute of Technology Newark (NJ) New Jersey
501–600  =119 Northern Arizona University Flagstaff Arizona
501–600  =119 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Troy New York
501–600  =119 Stevens Institute of Technology Hoboken New Jersey
501–600  =119 University of Texas at San Antonio San Antonio Texas
601–800  =130 University of Alabama Tuscaloosa Alabama
601–800  =130 University of Alabama in Huntsville Huntsville Alabama
601–800  =130 University of Arkansas Fayateville Arkansas
601–800  =130 Auburn University Auburn Alabama
601–800  =130 University of Central Florida Orlando Florida
601–800  =130 Chapman University Orange California
601–800  =130 Clemson University Clemson South Carolina
601–800  =130 Creighton University Omaha Nebraska
601–800  =130 University of Idaho Moscow Idaho
601–800  =130 Kansas State University Manhattan Kansas
601–800  =130 Lehigh University Bethlehem Pennsylvania
601–800  =130 University of Maryland, Baltimore County Baltimore Maryland
601–800  =130 University of Missouri-St Louis St. Louis Missouri
601–800  =130 Montana State University Bozeman Montana
601–800  =130 University of Nevada, Las Vegas Las Vegas Nevada
601–800  =130 New Mexico State University (Main campus) Las Cruces New Mexico
601–800  =130 University of North Carolina at Greensboro Greensboro North Carolina
601–800  =130 Ohio University (Main campus) Athens Ohio
601–800  =130 University of Rhode Island South Kingstown Rhode Island
601–800  =130 San Diego State University San Diego California
601–800  =130 University of Texas at Arlington Arlington Texas
601–800  =130 Texas Tech University Lubbock Texas
601–800  =130 University of Toledo Toledo Ohio
601–800  =130 Western Washington University Bellingham Washington
601–800  =130 University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Milwaukee Wisconsin
601–800  =130 Worcester Polytechnic Institute Worcester Massachusetts
801–1000  =156 Baylor University Waco Texas
801–1000  =156 Bowling Green State University Bowling Green Ohio
801–1000  =156 Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University Tallahassee Florida
801–1000  =156 Florida Atlantic University Boca Raton Florida
801–1000  =156 Florida Institute of Technology Melbourne Florida
801–1000  =156 Kent State University Kent Ohio
801–1000  =156 Louisiana Tech University Ruston Louisiana
801–1000  =156 Marquette University Milwaukee Wisconsin
801–1000  =156 University of Memphis Memphis Tennessee
801–1000  =156 Miami University Oxford Ohio
801–1000  =156 Mississippi State University Starkville Mississippi
801–1000  =156 The New School New York City New York
801–1000  =156 Old Dominion University Norfolk Virginia
801–1000  =156 Portland State University Portland Oregon
801–1000  =156 Rochester Institute of Technology Rochester (NY) New York
801–1000  =156 University of South Dakota Vermillion South Dakota
801–1000  =156 Southern Illinois University Carbondale Carbondale Illinois
801–1000  =156 University of Texas at El Paso El Paso Texas
1001+  =174 California State University, Long Beach Long Beach California
1001+  =174 East Carolina University Greenville North Carolina
1001+  =174 James Madison University Harrisonburg Virginia
1001+  =174 Morgan State University Baltimore Maryland
1001+  =174 University of North Carolina Wilmington Wilmington North Carolina
1001+  =174 Oakland University Rochester  Michigan
1001+  =174 Texas State University San Marcos Texas
1001+  =174 Western Michigan University Kalamazoo Michigan
Course Information

Course Information

Types of US College Degrees

US college degrees fall under four major categories:

Associate’s Degree (2 years)

You can earn an associate’s degree after two years at a US community college.

Many students who earn an associate’s degree continue their schooling at another US college or university in order to earn a bachelor’s degree. Speak with your college adviser if you want to transfer to another college or university.

Types of associate’s degrees:
  • Associate of Arts
  • Associate of Science
  • Associate of Applied Science
  • Associate of Occupational Studies

If you eventually want to earn a bachelor’s degree, take an AA or AS program. AAS and AOS programs are meant to help you find a job immediately after earning your degree.

Bachelor’s Degree ( 4 years)

Students at four-year undergraduate colleges and universities in the USA earn bachelor’s degrees.

Most students earn one of two types of bachelor’s degrees:
  • Bachelor of Arts
  • Bachelor of Science

You also may earn a more specialized bachelor’s degree, such as a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism

Colleges and universities in America have their own list of majors in which you can earn a bachelor’s degree. Some even will let you create your own college major!

Master’s Degree (2 years)

You can earn a master’s degree at a US graduate school in nearly any field.

The subject you study will determine the type of master’s degree you will earn, such as a:

  • Master of Arts
  • Master of Science
  • Master of Business Administration

Some master’s degree programs are terminal, but others can eventually lead to a doctoral degree.
Before you are accepted into a master’s degree program, you probably will need to take the GRE or GMAT.

Doctoral Degree

A doctoral degree is the highest type of US college degree.

A doctor of philosophy (PhD) is the most common type of doctoral degree. Some fields, however, require a doctoral degree before you can obtain a job, including:

  • Doctors
  • Lawyers
  • Dentists
  • veterinarians

Fields such as these may also require professional US licensure


 Minimum IELTS Requirement

Bachelors Program 6.0 Bands not less than 5.5 bands in one module
Masters Program 6.5 Bands not less than 6.0 bands in each module


Field Programs
Electrical Electrical Engineering, Embedded Electrical & Computer Systems, Digital Logic System Design, ASIC/VLSI Circuits, Analog/Mixed-Signal Integrated Circuits, Communications/ Digital Signal Processing, Power Electronics/Control, and Networking, Microwave engineering, Signal and Image processing, and Wireless Communications and many more
Computer Computation Science, Computer Science, Computing and Business, Computing for Life Sciences, Software Engineering,   Intelligence and Informatics, Information Assurance and Security, Artificial Intelligence, Computer and Network Security, Data Management & Analysis,  Game Programming  and many more                        
Mechanical Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Industrial and Systems Engineering,Production Design and Technology, Production Design, Production Technology, Biomechanics, Thermal Sciences, Motorsports Engineering, Sports Engineering, Acoustics and Vibrations, Control Systems, Design/Mechanical Systems   Manufacturing, Systems & Design, Mechatronics and Many More
Management/ MBA Management, Global Affairs, Business Administration, Entrepreneurship in Applied Technologies, Accounting, Business Analytics, Finance, Marketing, Management in Information System,  Global Project Management, Organization Management  and many more
Chemical Engineering Chemical Engineering, Materials Synthesis and Processing, Micro Energy and Chemical Systems, Biomedical and Biotechnology, Chemistry, Polymer and Fiber Engineering, Chemical & Biochemical Engineering,  Liquid Crystal Engineering, Chemical Manufacturing Management, Plastics Engineering and many more  
Pharmacy Molecular, Cellular and Biochemical Pharmacology, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Toxicology, Regulatory Affairs for Drugs, Biologics, and Medical Devices, Pharmacoeconomics, Epidemiology, Pharmaceutical Policy and Outcomes Research,  Environmental Health with Environmental chemistry, Environmental and occupational health and many more
Physiotherapy, Kinesiology, Exercise Science Exercise, Fitness & Health Promotion, Physiology of Exercise-Research, Physical Therapy, Kinesiology, Physical Education, Physician Assistant, Recreation, Sport and Exercise Psychology, Professional Communication in Sports,  Sport and Fitness Management, Sport Administration, Clinical Mental Health  Counseling, Community and Trauma Counseling, Adapted Physical Activity and many more
Health Science Global Health, Health Systems Management, Health Informatics, Health promotion and Health Behavior, Radiological Health Sciences , Health Administration, Healthcare Quality and Safety, Health Data Science, Emergency Health Services, Family & Consumer Sciences/Dietetic, Public Administration, Occupational Safety and Health and many more  
Law Intellectual Property, Law (International Business), Law and Economics, Organizational Ethics and Compliance, U.S. Law and many more
Microbiology Microbiology, Molecular and Cellular Biology, Molecular Genetics, Biochemistry, Applied Molecular Biology, Physiology and Behavior, Molecular genetics, Microbial physiology, Immunology, Human neutrophils, Host immunology/parasite relationships, Microbial Ecology, Immunotoxicology, Immunoparasitology, DNA and conventional vaccine development, Retrovirology (HIV), Environmental microbiology, Indoor allergens, Inflammation, Virology and many more


Eligibility Requirement

Eligibility Requirement

All students must have the required English language proficiency with regards to the course. A minimum criterion for IELTS is 6.5 and TOEFL is 80 ibt. Some institutions are also accepting PTE for admission and the minimum requirement is 54.

Students from Engineering school have to appear for GRE (Graduate Record Examination) and have to score minimum 300 to get admission in a good university. Management students have to appear for GMAT (Graduate Management Aptitude Test) and students have to score minimum 600 to get admission in good university.

Undergraduate students will appear SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) to get admission in colleges/universities.

Entry Requirements + Eligibility

  • Undergraduate: 10+2
  • Graduate:16 years of education required (10+2+4)
  • Some institutions accept 15 years education into their Bridge /Masters Programs
  • Good & strong academic background
  • Good scores in entrance exams like SAT, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, IELTS etc
  • Strong recommendation letters
  • To the point Statement of Purpose/Personal Statement, essays & resumes
  • Certificates of achievement & extra -curricular activity participation
  • Strong financial background or good grades to get a scholarship


  • Spring: January/February
  • Fall: August/September
  • Summer: April/May
  • Winter: December

US universities have 4 intakes:

Major intake is the Fall intake, but most of the universities are open for Spring and few of them for summer & winter intake too. However all subjects commence in Fall and only some in Winter and Summer intake.

Admission Process


USA Document Checklist for Admission

SR No Document Description
1 Transcript
Master/ Bachelor / Diploma / 12th /10th
Transcript require in Seal envelope & must be attested by
Registrar / Examination Controller / Principal
2 Degree Certificate
Master/ Bachelor/ Diploma
Degree Certificate must be attested by authorize person of particular institute or University
Registrar / Examination Controller / Principal/HOD
3 Provisional Degree certificate / Bona fide Certificate
Bachelor / Master / Diploma / 12th
Provisional degree Certificate / Bona fide certificate must be attested by authorize person of particular institute or University
Registrar / Examination Controller / Principal/HOD
4 Mark sheets
Diploma / Bachelor / Master
All mark sheets are must be attested by authorize person of particular institute, College or University (Including backlog mark sheet)
Registrar / Examination Controller / Principal/HOD
5 HSC (12th)
Mark sheet & Passing Certificate
Mark sheet & Passing Certificate require in seal
envelop and attested by principal or authorize person
Principal/Class Teacher
6 SSC (10th)
Mark sheet & Passing Certificate
Mark sheet & Passing Certificate required in seal envelope and attested by principal or authorize person
Principal/Class Teacher
7 Recommendation Letter
Master degree Application – 3
Bachelor degree Application – 2
(If student has completed 10+ diploma than one recommendation require from diploma)
– LOR require on letter head of college/ University/ School
– LOR must be in seal envelope
– LOR must be attested by authorized person
– Signature & Designation require of LOR provider
– Contact detail and Email id require of LOR provider
Professor / Asst. Professor/Principal/ Registrar/HOD
8 Bank Statement – Bank Statement require on Letter head of particular bank
– Must be Sign & Stamp by authorized person
– Amount must be Converted into US $
9 Affidavit of Support AOS require on 20 to 100 RS stamp paper with red seal of notary
10 IELTS / TOEFL/GRE/GMAT/SAT Score card or Date Confirmation require for admission process
11 Statement of Purpose University & Program specific SOP require
12 Resume Resume must include student’s Personal detail, Education detail and work experience detail (If Work Exp. Having)
13 Passport Front and back side of passport Xerox copy ( 6 month valid)
14 Work Experience Letter (If have) Work Experience Letter (If have)
15 Extra Curriculum documents Any extra curricular activities certificate



Cost of Study

Cost of Study

US Universities fall under two major categories:

  • Public (state supported), and
  • Private (independent) institutions.
University Type Average Tuition Fees (annual in U.S. Dollars)
Private Institutions (High Cost) $ 35,000
Private Institutions (Low Cost) $ 18,000
State Institutions (High Cost) $ 25,000
State Institutions (Low Cost) $ 12,000

The tuition fee is different for different universities and varies widely with courses. It can vary from as low as $ 10000 a year for state universities to as much as $ 35000 per annum for some private universities. For more specific details, please contact the universities.

Living Expenses

The approximate annual living expenses are about $10,000, which includes accommodation as well as other daily expenses. However, the expenses are different for different people depending on the lifestyles and this is just a rough idea. The main expenses can be split up as:

Rent $ 400 per month(you can live alone with that
amount in a place like Auburn or
share an apartment with 6 people in NY)
Groceries $ 100 per month
Utilities $ 100 per month
Phone $ 100 per month
Sundry $ 200 per month

So, about $1000 per month is a good estimation. Most people can survive with $700-$1000 a month. The key here is to share apartments/houses so that you save on the utilities, fixed charge portion of phone and to some extent on groceries



Application Fees (Aprox 5) 500 36,000/-
Score reporting 300 21,600/-
University deposit ($ 1000 – 2000) 1500 1,08,000/-
SEVIS 350 25,200/-
Visa Fees 160 11,520/-
1st Semester Fee 12000 8,64,000/-
TOTAL 14810 10,66,320/-


Coaching (SAT/GRE & TOEFL/IELTS) 50,000/-
Air Ticket 50,000/-
Insurance 15,000/-
TOTAL 1,15,000/-

Scholarships for International Students

The United States is one of the prime destinations for students who are looking to benefit from a top notch and widely recognized international education. However, there are limited scholarship options for international students who wish to study in the US for free. To help you, compiled a list of
scholarships in USA offered by US Colleges and Universities as well as scholarships granted by US government and institutions.

USA Government Scholarships for International Students

  • Foreign Fulbright Student Program

The Fulbright Program are full scholarships in USA for international students who wants to pursue a Master’s or PhD degree. The scholarships can also be awarded for non-degree postgraduate studies. The grant covers tuition fee, textbooks, airfare, a living stipend, and health insurance.

  • Humphrey Fellowship Program

The Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program provides a year of professional enrichment in the United States for experienced professionals from designated countries throughout the world. Fellows are selected based on their potential for leadership and their commitment to public service in either the public or private sector. The fellowships are full grants covering all related expenses.

US Colleges and Universities that offer Scholarships for International Students

American University Scholarships

American University (AU) awards a limited number of generous partial merit scholarships to academically-qualified incoming international first-year undergraduate students. No need-based financial aid is available to international students. The merit scholarship range from U.S.$6,000 to U.S.$22,000 per academic year (renewable subject to conditions). The University also offers the AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship Program which awards scholarships to high-achieving international students who wish to pursue a Bachelor’s Degree at the University and who are dedicated to positive civic and social change. It is intended for students who will be to returning home to improve under-resourced, underserved communities in his/her home country.

Amherst College Scholarships

Amherst College currently runs a need-based financial aid program that provides assistance to financially needy international students. Once you have been admitted, your financial need is determined. A financial aid award that is equal to your need will then be offered. The award is sometimes called an “aid package” because it may include both self-help (employment) and gift aid (scholarships and grants).

Arkansas University Scholarships

International students are eligible to apply about 10 scholarships offered at the University including the Chancellor’s Scholarship and the General University Scholarships.

Berea College Scholarships

At Berea College, every admitted student is awarded a 4-year, tuition scholarship. This scholarship works in conjunction with any other grants or scholarships students receive to completely cover the cost of tuition. Additional costs, such as room, board, and fees, may also be covered by the College, depending upon your financial need. Nearly all of their students receive additional aid for these costs

Clark University Scholarships

Clark University offers the Global Scholars Program which are open to High school students who are NOT permanent residents or citizens of the United States, as well as U.S. citizens/permanent residents who reside overseas and will complete their entire secondary school education outside the U.S. A scholarship of no less than $15,000 (renewable, subject to conditions) and a guaranteed $2,500 taxable stipend for a paid internship or research assistantship taken for academic credit during the summer following the sophomore or junior year is included with the award.

Colby-Sawyer College Scholarships

International students are eligible for need-based and merit-based financial aid offered by Colby-Sawyer College. The merit-based scholarships increase based on academic ability and range up to $24,000 per year. The college does not meet full financial need.

Columbia College Scholarships

Columbia College offers about 20 scholarships and awards to outstanding international students. The awards are one time cash grants or 25%- 100% tuition reduction.

Concordia College Scholarships

Concordia prizes the contributions international students make on campus and is pleased to provide partial financial assistance to international students. The International Student Scholarship is based on academic ability and family need, amounting up to $25,000 per year.

Cornell University Scholarships

Cornell has a limited amount of funding available for international undergraduates, only 30-40 scholarships are awarded to students in each entering class. The scholarships are either partial or full, based on the selected student’s need.

Dartmouth College Scholarships

Dartmouth College offers need-based financial aid to all students, including international and transfer applicants . It does not award academic, athletic or merit scholarships. The College is committed to meeting 100% of every student’s demonstrated need during their four years of undergraduate study.

East Tennessee State University

East Tennessee State University (ETSU) offers the International Students Academic Merit Scholarship for new international students seeking a graduate or undergraduate degree. The scholarship covers 50 percent of the total of in and out-of-state tuition and maintenance fees only. No additional fees or costs are covered. The scholarship award can only be used for study at ETSU.

East West Center Scholarships

East-West Center offers Graduate Degree Fellowship for Master’s and Doctoral studies for students from Asia, the Pacific, and the U.S. to participate in educational and research programs at the East-West Center while pursuing graduate study at the University of Hawai’i.

East West Center Scholarships

East-West Center offers Graduate Degree Fellowship for Master’s and Doctoral studies for students from Asia, the Pacific, and the U.S. to participate in educational and research programs at the East-West Center while pursuing graduate study at the University of Hawai’i.

Emory College Scholarships

Emory University offers need-based financial aid awards to a select number of international undergraduate students. All citizens of foreign countries who are not permanent residents of the United States (living in the U.S. or abroad) will be reviewed for this new international scholarship. As well, international applicants are encouraged to apply for merit-based scholarships through the Emory University Scholars Program (November 15 deadline)

Illinois Wesleyan University Scholarships

Merit-based scholarships are offered to qualified international applicants with outstanding academic achievement and test scores on the required entrance exams. These awards range from $10,000 to $25,000 per year and are renewable for up to four years. In addition, two full-tuition President’s International Student Scholarships may be awarded each year to two highly qualified international students.

Iowa State University International Merit Scholarships

The International Merit Scholarship is awarded to well-rounded students who have demonstrated strong academic achievement, and outstanding talent or achievements in one or more of the following areas: math and sciences, the arts, extracurricular activities, community service, leadership, innovation, or entrepreneurship. The awards range from $4,000 to $8,000 and are renewable.

Michigan State University International Scholarships

Michigan University provides a limited number of scholarship and grants to deserving international students at the undergraduate and postgraduate level. These financial packages are not designed to support your full academic program at MSU

New York University Wagner Scholarships

All international postgraduate student applicants at NYU Wagner are automatically considered for all merit-based scholarships, as the University gives equal consideration to scholarship applicants from within the United States and abroad. The awards are partial to full tuition scholarships including the Robert F. Wagner Scholarship which includes a $20,000 annual stipend.

Oregon University Scholarships

At the University of Oregon you’ll find several sources of financial aid for international students, at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Each year, the University of Oregon awards more than one million dollars in financial aid and scholarships to international students. One of their scholarship programs is the
ICSP scholarship which awards 30–40 competitive scholarships to international students each year. Scholarships apply to tuition only and range from $7,000–$27,000 per year.

Wesleyan University Scholarships

Wesleyan University offers limited scholarships for international students and is awarded on the basis of both exceptional qualifications and demonstrated need. In addition to the 11 Asian students who are awarded yearly under the Freeman Asian Scholars Program, they provide financial assistance to approximately 15 international students from a pool of over 400 such applicants.

University of the West Scholarships

The Lotus Scholarship (the Scholarship) is awarded to students who achieve high academic standards and demonstrate a financial need in order to attend University of the West (UWest). The Scholarship awards up to $5,000 or up to $10,000 annually to each successful applicant to apply toward his or her tuition, mandatory fees, room and board, and other expenses required for attendance at UWest.

Institutions that fund international scholarships for study in the US »

Joint Japan World Bank Graduate Scholarships

The Joint Japan World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program provides full scholarships to students from World Bank member countries to pursue development-related studies at selected Universities around the world. Students can choose to study in 8 participating USA Universities including Harvard University, John Hopkins University, University of Chicago, Cornell University and Columbia University.

AAUW International Fellowships

AAUW (formerly known as the American Association of University Women) awards international fellowships for full-time study or research in the United States to women who are not US citizens or permanent residents. The scholarships are worth $18,000 for Masters, 20,000 for PhD and $30,000 for Postdoctoral students

Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Programme

The Aga Khan Foundation provides a limited number of scholarships each year for postgraduate studies to outstanding students from selected developing countries who have no other means of financing their studies. The studies can be undertaken anywhere in the world including the US. Scholarships are awarded on a 50% grant: 50% loan basis through a competitive application process once a year.

Work Options

Working as a Student and Post-Graduation Work

F1 visa does allow international students to work (under specific guidelines) while they are studying in the US. Students with a valid F1 visa are allowed to work on-campus only. Students are able to:

    • Work 20-hours per week during regular full-time semesters
    • Work more than 20-hours per week between quarters semester
    • Work more than 20-hours per week during school breaks (including winter and summer break)

On-campus work is typically available at the cafeteria, library, research labs, or admissions offices. In these instances, students are usually employees of the institution. Students can work in more than one job but they must comply with the hour restrictions.

Working Off-Campus with F1 Visa

International students have two options for working off-campus. It’s important to note they must complete their first academic year before they are eligible for off-campus work.

The options are:

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT): CPT allows students to participate in off-campus training/work/internships outlined in their degree program. Some degree programs require students to complete an internship prior to graduation.
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT): OPT provides students with the option to participate in an off-campus job or internship for 12 months, given it is in their field of study. There is an option for a 24 month

OPT extension, for a total of 36 months, for science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) programs. Students

who would like to apply for OPT will need an additional visa. Within the umbrella of OPT there are two options for students:

    • Pre-Completion OPT: Students are limited to work 20-hours a week during their study and can work up to 40-hours a week when on their break. This is a great way for students to gain experience before graduating and entering the workforce.
    • Post-Completion OPT: Students who opt-in to work after they graduate are allowed to remain in the US for up to 12 months. The job they obtain must be within their field.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

F-1 visa holders may be eligible for up to 12 months of optional practical training following completion of all course requirements for graduation (not including thesis or equivalent), or after completion of all requirements. OPT is separate from a student’s academic work, and time for OPT will not normally be reflected during the student’s academic program or in the completed study date. Students applying for an F visa to do OPT may present an I-20 with an original end of study date that may have passed. However, these I-20s must be annotated by the designated school official to reflect approval of an OPT program that extends beyond the end of the regular period of study. In addition, the student must have proof that USCIS has approved their practical training program or that an application is pending, either in the form of an approved Employment Authorization Card or a Form I-797 indicating that s/he has a pending application for an OPT program.

Validity of Student Visas after a Break in Studies

Students who are away from classes for more than five months can expect to apply for and receive a new F-1 or M-1 student visa to return to school following travel abroad, as explained below.

Students within the U.S.

A student (F-1 or M-1) may lose that status if they do not resume studies within five months of the date of transferring schools or programs, under immigration law. If a student loses status, unless USCIS reinstates the student’s status, the student’s F or M visa would also be invalid for future travel returning to the U.S. For more information see the USCIS website, and instructions for Application for Extend/Change of Nonimmigrant Status Form I-539 to request reinstatement of status.

Students – Returning to the U.S. from Travel Abroad

Students who leave the U.S. for a break in studies of five months or more may lose their F-1 or M-1 status unless their activities overseas are related to their course of study. In advance of travel, students may want to check with their designated school official, if there is a question about whether their activity is related to their course of study.

When the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) immigration inspector at port of entry is presented a previously used, unexpired F-1 or M-1 visa by a returning student who has been outside the U.S. and out of student status for more than five months, a CBP immigration inspector may find the student inadmissible for not possessing a valid nonimmigrant visa. CBP may also cancel the visa after granting the student permission to withdraw the application for admission. Therefore, it is prudent for students to apply for new visas at an Embassy or Consulate abroad prior to traveling to the U.S. to return to their studies, after an absence of more than five months that is not related to their course of study.

Temporary Non-Immigrant


After graduation, students can apply to temporarily work in the US. The prospective employer must file a non-immigrant petition on their behalf with USCIS. If students would like their spouse or children who qualify with them they will need to apply directly at a US consulate for a visa.

Visa Procedure

Steps of USA Student Visa Process

Step 1: Attend a counseling session

download arrow - Steps of USA Student Visa Process

Step 2: Register with ESPI

download arrow - Steps of USA Student Visa Process

Step 3: Fulfill the conditions for Testing conditions

download arrow - Steps of USA Student Visa Process

Step 4: Apply for admission

download arrow - Steps of USA Student Visa Process

Step 5: Institute issues the I-20

download arrow - Steps of USA Student Visa Process

Step 6: Pay the SEVIS fee online

download arrow - Steps of USA Student Visa Process

Step 7: Payment of visa fee

download arrow - Steps of USA Student Visa Process

Step 8: Complete the DS160 for online

download arrow - Steps of USA Student Visa Process

Step 9: Book a visa interview

download arrow - Steps of USA Student Visa Process

Step 10: Undertake an interview with embassy

download arrow - Steps of USA Student Visa Process

Step 11: Visa outcome

download arrow - Steps of USA Student Visa Process

Step 12: Travel Service


USA Document Checklist for Admission

SR No Document Description
1 Transcript
Master/ Bachelor / Diploma / 12th /10th
Transcript require in Seal envelop & must be attested by
Registrar / Examination Controller / Principle
2 Degree Certificate
Master/ Bachelor/ Diploma
Degree Certificate must be attested by authorize person of particular institute or University
Registrar / Examination Controller / Principle/HOD
3 Provisional Degree certificate / Bona fide Certificate
Bachelor / Master / Diploma / 12th
Provisional degree Certificate / Bona fide certificate must be attested by authorize person of particular institute or University
Registrar / Examination Controller / Principle/HOD
4 Mark sheets
Diploma / Bachelor / Master
All mark sheets are must be attested by authorize person of particular institute, College or University (Including backlog mark sheet)
Registrar / Examination Controller / Principle/HOD
5 HSC (12th)
Mark sheet & Passing Certificate
Mark sheet & Passing Certificate require in seal
envelop and attested by principle or authorize person
Principle/Class Teacher
6 SSC (10th)
Mark sheet & Passing Certificate
Mark sheet & Passing Certificate require in seal envelop and attested by principle or authorize person
Principle/Class Teacher
7 Recommendation Letter
Master degree Application – 3
Bachelor degree Application – 2
(If student has completed 10+ diploma than one recommendation require from diploma)
– LOR require on letter head of college/ University/ School
– LOR must be in seal envelop
– LOR must be attested by authorize person
– Signature & Designation require of LOR provider
– Contact detail and Email id require of LOR provider
Professor / Asst. Professor/Principle/ Registrar/HOD
8 Bank Statement – Bank Statement require on Letter head of particular bank
– Must be Sign & Stamp by authorize person
– Amount must be Converted into US $
9 Affidavit of Support AOS require on 20 to 100 RS stamp paper with red seal of notary
10 IELTS / TOEFL/GRE/GMAT/SAT Score card or Date Confirmation require for admission process
11 Statement of Purpose University & Program specific SOP require
12 Resume Resume must include student’s Personal detail, Education detail and work experience detail (If Work Exp. Having)
13 Passport Front and back side of passport Xerox copy ( 6 month valid)
14 Work Experience Letter (If have) Work Experience Letter (If have)
15 Extra Curriculum documents Any extra curriculum activities certificate
How To Apply


Step 1

For Nonimmigrant Visa applicants: Determine your visa type by reading Common Nonimmigrant Visas. Each visa type explains the qualifications and application items. Choose the visa type that applies to your situation.

Be sure to also review the Visa Waiver Program. If your country participates in the Visa Waiver Program, you do not need to apply for a visa if you are travelling for business or pleasure and will only be staying in the Unites States for 90 days or less.

Note: If you are under 14 or over 79 years old, or if you previously received a U.S. visa that expired within the last 48 months or 12 months and you are returning to the United States for the same purpose of travel, you may be able to obtain a visa without coming to the consulate for an interview.

Step 2

The next step is to complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) form. Be sure to read the Guidelines for Completing the DS-160 Form carefully. All information must be correct and accurate. Once the form is submitted, you cannot make any changes. If you need assistance, please consult an immigration lawyer or translator. The call center cannot help you complete your DS-160. You will need your DS-160 number to book your appointment.

Note: If denied visa previously please complete a new Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) form.

Step 3

Once you have determined the correct visa type and completed the DS-160, you must pay the visa fee. The visa fee page lists the visa types and correlates visa fees in US dollars and native currency.

To pay your visa fee, read the Bank and Payment Options page. This page explains how to make your visa fee payment. You will create a profile and must keep your receipt number to book your visa appointment

Step 4

You are almost ready to schedule your visa appointment! Now you will need to login to your profile with the same credentials you used to pay your visa fee. Once you are in the system, you will see your dashboard. Click on Schedule Appointment on the left-hand side menu. This will start the process for scheduling your appointment.

You must schedule two appointments, one for the Visa Application Center (VAC) and one for the visa interview at the Embassy or Consulate.

First, schedule your visa interview appointment at the Embassy or Consulate.

Second, schedule your appointment at a Visa Application Centre. This appointment will allow you to go to one of the five Visa Application Centre locations to have your fingerprints and photo taken. This appointment must be at least 1 day before your visa interview appointment at the Embassy or Consulate. You will need three pieces of information in order to schedule your appointment:

  • Your passport number
  • The date you paid your fee
  • The ten (10) digit barcode number from your DS-160 confirmation page

As you go through the process you will be able to select your visa type, enter personal data, add dependents, select your document delivery location, confirm visa payment, and schedule your appointment.

Step 5

For your Visa Application Centre appointment, you will need to bring:

  • A passport valid for travel to the United States with validity dates at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the United States (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions). If more than one person is included in your passport, each person desiring a visa must submit an application.
  • Your DS-160 confirmation page.
  • Your appointment confirmation page.
  • One photograph as per U.S. visa specifications if the applicant is under 14 years of age. See the
  • Photos and Fingerprints page for more details

As you go through the process you will be able to select your visa type, enter personal data, add dependents, select your document delivery location, confirm visa payment, and schedule your appointment.

Step 6

Following your visit to the Visa Application Centre to have your photo and fingerprints taken, you will then visit the U.S. Embassy or Consulate on the date and time of your visa interview. You must bring :

  • A printed copy of your appointment letter,
  • Your DS-160 confirmation page
  • Your current and all old passports
  • A Form I-901 SEVIS fee receipt indicating the SEVIS fee. The SEVIS website has more details
  • Supporting Documents as per your visa type

Applications without all of these items will not be accepted

Note: Children under 14 years of age are not required to attend the appointment at the Visa Application Centre or visa interview at the Embassy/Consulate. Accompany/Guardians/Parents can carry the above documents

Supporting Documents

Supporting documents are only one of many factors a consular officer will consider in your interview. Consular officers look at each application individually and consider professional, social, cultural and other factors during adjudication. Consular officers may look at your specific intentions, family situation, and your long-range plans and prospects within your country of residence. Each case is examined individually and is accorded every consideration under the law

Caution: Do not present false documents. Fraud or misrepresentation can result in permanent visa ineligibility. If confidentiality is a concern, you should bring your documents to the Embassy or Consulate in a sealed envelope. The Embassy or Consulate will not make your information available to anyone and will respect the confidentiality of your information.

You should bring the following documents to your interview:

  • Your passport number
  • The date you paid your fee
  • The ten (10) digit barcode number from your DS-160 confirmation page

As you go through the process you will be able to select your visa type, enter personal data, add dependents, select your document delivery location, confirm visa payment, and schedule your appointment.

  • you are 18 or over;
  • Documents demonstrating strong financial, social, and family ties to your home country that will compel you to return to your country after your program of study in the United States ends.
  • Financial and any other documents you believe will support your application and which give credible evidence that you have enough readily-available funds to meet all expenses for the first year of study and that you have access to funds sufficient to cover all expenses while you remain in the United States. M-1 applicants must demonstrate the ability to pay all tuition and living costs for the entire period of their intended stay.
  • Photocopies of bank statements will not be accepted unless you can also show original copies of bank statements or original bank books.
  • If you are financially sponsored by another person, bring proof of your relationship to the sponsor (such as your birth certificate), the sponsor’s most recent original tax forms and the sponsor’s bankbooks and/or fixed deposit certificates.
    Academic documents that show scholastic preparation. Useful documents include school transcripts (original copies are preferred) with grades, public examination certificates (A-levels, etc.), standardized test scores (SAT, TOEFL, etc.), and diplomas.


Spouses, including same-sex spouses, and/or unmarried children under the age of 21 who wish to accompany or join the principal visa holder in the United States for the duration of his or her stay require derivative F or M visas. There is no derivative visa for the parents of F or M holders.

Family members who do not intend to reside in the United States with the principal visa holder, but wish to visit for vacations only, may be eligible to apply for visitor (B-2) visas.

Spouses and dependents may not work in the United States on a derivative F or M visa. If your spouse/child seeks employment, the spouse must obtain the appropriate work visa.

Supporting Documents for Dependents

Applicants with dependents must also provide:

  • Proof of the student’s relationship to his or her spouse and/or child (e.g., marriage and birth certificates)
  • It is preferred that families apply for their visas at the same time, but if the spouse and/or child must apply separately at a later time, they should bring a copy of the student visa holder’s passport and visa, along with all other required documents.
Consulate Details

Location and Contact Information

The U.S. Embassy and Consulates in India are located at the following addresses:

The U.S. Embassy in New Delhi

Shanti Path, Chanakya Puri 110021

Telephone +91-11-2419-8000 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +91-11-2419-8000 FREE


Fax +91-11-2419-8587


The U.S. Consulate General in Mumbai (Bombay)

C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051

Phone: (22) 2672-4000


The U.S. Consulate General in Chennai (Madras)

220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006

Telephone +91-44-2857-4000 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +91-44-2857-4000 FREE


Fax: +91-44-2811-2027


The U.S. Consulate General in Kolkata (Calcutta)

5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071

Telephone +91-33-3984-2400 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +91-33-3984-2400 FREE


Fax +91-33-2282-2335


The U.S. Consulate General in Hyderabad

Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500 003

Telephone: +91-40-4033-8300 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +91-40-4033-8300 FREE



Common Questions asked at the Airport

Common Questions Asked at Arrivals

Below is a list of commonly asked questions that students may be asked when they arrive at the airport by Immigration Officers:

  • What is your name?
  • Where are you from? 
  • What is your home address?
  • What is your mother’s and father’s name?
  • What is your date and place of birth?
  • What school are you going to attend in the US?
  • What program are you going to study and how long is the program? 
  • What are your plans after completing the program?
  • Who packed your bag(s)?
  • Do you know what’s inside the bags? How much cash are you carrying with you?
  • How are you paying for your education?
  • Do you have relatives/friends/family in the US? If yes, where do they live? If no, where will you stay?
  • Is someone coming to pick you up at the Airport?

Note: Students should respond to all the questions asked by the Immigration Officer with simple and clear answers, and ask for clarification if they do not understand the question clearly.


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Please obtain a new passport before you pay any visa fees or book an appointment. If you have an urgent need to travel, schedule an appointment or email us through online appointment system with your passport number and explanation of the emergency to see if you can proceed with your appointment.

Please obtain a new passport before your interview if:

  • You must have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months after your planned departure from the United States (unless exempted by country-specific agreements).
  • The film on the biographic data pages of your passport (i.e., page with your photo and back page with your parents’ information) is separating from the pages in your passport, or
  • Your passport is otherwise torn, damaged, mutilated or has been washed or laundered.

U.S. visas cannot be placed in damaged passports!

No.  As long as the passport issuing authority does not punch holes through your U.S. visa, you may use it to travel to the U.S.  You should carry both your new, valid passport and your old passport that contains your U.S. visa.

If your visa has been damaged, you will need to reapply for a new visa. You may contact for more information.

If you think your visa was printed incorrectly, please email and explain why you think there is an error.  If necessary, we will provide instructions on how to submit your passport.

If the consular officer refuses your case under Section 221(g),  it means your visa application was not complete or requires further administrative action before it can be reconsidered. Processing times are different for every applicant.  When the processing is finished, the passport will be returned to you by courier. Before you contact us, please know that we cannot provide updates on your status once the processing has begun, and we cannot expedite the processing of your case.

If you now have new information, or if your overall circumstances have changed significantly, you may re-apply following the same procedures as any other applicant. Re-applying is the only way to have your application reconsidered.

The Consular Officer who refused your visa is trained to evaluate all aspects of your case, such as your financial and family situation in India, your stated intent in visiting the United States, your travel history, and many other factors. The Officer asked the appropriate questions to obtain the relevant information, weighed your answers with the other facts of your case, and made a decision based on that information.

Applying for a non-immigrant visa is not a documentary process. Consular Officers never rely only on documents, although they may help support information you provide at the interview. If the Consular Officer made a decision in your case without reviewing documents, it was because the circumstances of your situation were clear. If your visa was refused, it is highly unlikely that any document you could provide would significantly alter the Consular Officer’s decision about your case.

All applicants for a U.S. visa must pay a non-refundable application fee. It cannot be returned if you fail to establish that you qualify for the visa.

You must report the loss of your passport and visa to the local Indian Police and obtain a police report. Please report the loss of the visa to the Fraud Prevention Unit at:

  • Your name, date and place of birth, and nationality.
  • Your address and phone number.
  • A photocopy of the lost visa, if available, or the date and place of issuance, if known.
  • A photocopy of the bio-data page of your lost passport, if available.  If not, the nationality and number of your lost passport as well as the issuance and expiration dates, if available.
  • Circumstances of the loss: When and how your passport was lost or stolen.

Lost or stolen U.S. visas cannot be replaced. You must apply for a new visa in person at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. When applying for the new visa, you will need to explain the loss of your passport and visa.

If you have already reported your visa lost/stolen to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, and then you later find your misplaced visa, please note that the visa will be invalid for future travel to the U.S. You must apply in person at the Embassy or Consulate for a new visa.

Apply early!  The wait times for appointments by post are available at the Department of State Travel site.

Although the majority of applications are processed and ready to pick up within 2 business days, some applications will require administrative processing.  We cannot predict in advance which applications will require administrative processing, not do we know how long it will take.  Please apply at least 6-8 weeks before you plan to travel, and do not book tickets or hotels until you have a visa.

Reducing wait times is one of our top priorities. We release appoints several weeks in advance.  If those appointments are immediately filled, we assess our capacity for opening new appointments, and release those dates incrementally.

Yes. After you return from your travels, send your passport back to the Embassy. We will then continue to process and print your visa and will return your passport by courier to the location you selected when you created your profile. Email for more information about resubmitting your passport.

The application process is the same for babies as it is for adults, except they do not need a separate appointment. In other words, you must pay all applicable fees, and follow the application process for each applicant.

Children under 14 may qualify to have their visa interview waived and should submit an application online at First-time nonimmigrant Visa applicants ages 14 and older must attend a visa interview.

Due to security concerns and space limitations, U.S. consular sections do not permit interested parties such as friends, relatives, attorneys or business contacts to attend the visa interview with the applicant.

If an interested party wishes to provide information to a specific consular section concerning a particular visa applicant, they are encouraged to supply this information directly to the applicant. The applicant can then bring this information with them to the visa interview.

The current wait time for visa appointments are available at the Department of State Travel site.  Some visas may not be issued immediately after the interview due to required additional administrative processing. We cannot predict how long that process will take, so please do not make travel plans until your visa has been issued.

If you receive an SEVIS I-20 Form from a better school and wish to attend that school you will need to change the name of the school printed on your visa. To do this you will have to apply for another visa and pay the Application Fee and Service Charge again.

You cannot apply earlier than 120 days from the start date on your I-20 or DS-2019.  If you receive your visa, you are not allowed to enter the U.S. more than 30 days before the start date on your I-20 or DS-2019.  You should apply as you soon as possible in case of delays issuing your visa.

No. Payment of tuition expenses in advance is good evidence that you can finance your studies in the U.S., but it is not a requirement to pay in advance and show a receipt.

Financial documents are not required for visa interviews. Typically, officers will not review these documents and will ask you questions about how you plan to pay. Documents are not forbidden, and may on occasion be reviewed, but we discourage applicants from going through trouble and expense of gathering accountant’s statements and property appraisals.

Send a request through the emergency appointment module at with your passport number, SEVIS number, I20 start dates, and an explanation of your circumstances.

Please contact your school and request an extension letter or a new I-20. Inform them that your visa is still being processed. When you receive an extension letter or new I-20, please send a copy to the Embassy immediately. Please remember that visa processing cannot be expedited.

Only children under 21 and spouses qualify to accompany students. Other family members must apply for a Business and Tourism (B1/B2) visa. This means that the family member will not be able to live in the United States for the full term of the F1 student visa, and must exit the country within the time given by the Customs and Border Protection officer. Most visitors on a B1/B2 visa are admitted for six months, after which they must depart or seek an extension.

Consular officers are happy to meet groups of students, travel agents or other businesses  to present the visa process and answer general queries. Contact us through the to request a meeting.

Information on Entering the United States: 

COVID Related Information

What can I expect when departing other countries?

Some countries are conducting exit screening for all passengers leaving their destination. Before being permitted to board a departing flight, you may have your temperature taken and be asked questions about your travel history and health.

What can I expect when arriving to the United States?

Currently, travel restrictions and entry screening apply only to travelers arriving from some countries. Note: U.S. policies are subject to change as the COVID-19 pandemic evolves.

You may be screened when you arrive in the United States.

After travel, all travelers should take these actions to protect others from getting sick:

  • Stay at least 6 feet (about 2 arms’ length) from anyone who is not from your household. It’s important to do this everywhere — both indoors and outdoors.
  • Wear a mask to keep your nose and mouth when you are outside of your home.
  • Wash your hands often or use hand sanitizer.
  • Watch your health: Look for symptoms of COVID-19, and take your temperature if you feel sick.
  • See CDC’s After Travel webpage to learn if you should take additional precautions.

Follow state, territorialtribal, and local recommendations or requirements.

What to Do if You Get Sick After Travel

If you get sick with fever, cough, or other symptoms of COVID-19:

  • Stay home and take other precautions. Avoid contact with others until it’s safe for you to end home isolation.
  • Don’t travel when you are sick.
  • You might have COVID-19. If you do, know that most people are able to recover at home without medical care.
  • Stay in touch with your doctor. Call before you go to a doctor’s office or emergency room and let them know you might have COVID-19. If you have a medical appointment that cannot be postponed, call first and tell the doctor’s office you have or may have COVID-19. This will help them protect themselves and other patients from COVID-19.
  • If you have an emergency warning sign (including trouble breathing), get emergency medical care immediately.
  • If you live in close quarters with others, take additional precautions to protect them.

If you have a medical appointment that cannot be postponed, call your doctor’s office and tell them you have or may have COVID-19. This will help the office protect themselves and other patients.

For information about traveling in the United States: Coronavirus and Travel in the United States