If you are planning a trip to the United Kingdom (UK) for tourism, business, or visiting family or friends, you may need to obtain a visitor visa before your travel. A Visitor Visa UK allows you to stay in the UK for a limited period, usually up to 6 months.
Table of Contents
UK Visitor Visa – Requirements & How to Apply
What is a UK Visitor Visa?
A UK visitor visa is a type of short-term visa that allows non-UK residents to enter the country for a limited period, for the purposes of tourism, visiting family or friends, or conducting business. The visitor visa does not permit the holder to work or settle in the UK.
There are different types of visitor visas available, depending on the purpose of your visit. The standard visitor visa is the most common type, and it allows you to enter the UK for up to 6 months. You can also apply for a long-term visitor visa, which allows you to enter the UK multiple times over a period of 2, 5, or 10 years, with each visit limited to a maximum of 6 months.
What are the UK Visitor Visa Requirements?
To apply for a UK visitor visa, you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You must be a genuine visitor to the UK, with a clear intention to leave the country at the end of your visit.
- You must have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay in the UK, without relying on public funds.
- You must have a valid reason for your visit, such as tourism, visiting family or friends, or conducting business.
- You must be able to provide evidence of your ties to your home country, such as a job, a home, or family.
- You must have no criminal record and not pose a threat to national security.
- You must be able to speak and understand English at a basic level, unless you are exempt.
How to Apply for a Visitor Visa to the UK?
To apply for a UK visitor visa, you must follow these steps:
- Check if you need a visa: Citizens of some countries do not need a visa to visit the UK for short periods. Check the UK government website to see if you need a visa.
- Prepare your documents: You will need to provide certain documents to support your application, such as your passport, proof of your ties to your home country, and evidence of your finances.
- Fill in the online application form: You can apply for a UK visitor visa online. Fill in the application form with your personal details and information about your visit.
- Pay the visa fee: The visa fee for a standard visitor visa is currently £95, and for a long-term visitor visa, it ranges from £361 to £822, depending on the length of the visa.
- Book a biometric appointment: You will need to provide your biometric information, such as fingerprints and a photograph, at a UK visa application center.
- Attend your appointment: Attend your biometric appointment with your supporting documents, and provide your biometric information.
- Wait for a decision: You will usually receive a decision on your visa application within 3 weeks.
Supporting Documents Required for UK Visitor Visa.
To support your UK visa application, you will need to provide the following documents:
- A valid passport or travel document.
- Evidence of your finances, such as bank statements or payslips, to show that you can support yourself during your stay in the UK.
What to do if Your UK Visitor Visa Application is Refused?
If your UK visitor visa application is refused, you can appeal the decision or submit a fresh application with additional supporting documents. It is important to understand why your application was refused before deciding on your next course of action. You may want to seek the advice of an immigration lawyer to help you understand your options.
How Can ESPI UK Immigration Help You with Visitor Visas UK?
ESPI UK Immigration is an immigration law firm that can assist you with your UK visitor visa application. Their team of experienced immigration lawyers can help you understand the eligibility criteria, advise you on the supporting documents required, and assist you with filling out the online application form. They can also represent you in an appeal if your application is refused.
Q: How long can I stay in the UK on a visitor visa?
A: You can stay in the UK for up to 6 months on a standard visitor visa.
Q: Can I work on a UK visitor visa?
A: No, you cannot work on a UK visitor visa.
Q: Can I apply for a long-term visitor visa?
A: Yes, you can apply for a long-term visitor visa that allows you to enter the UK multiple times over a period of 2, 5, or 10 years, with each visit limited to a maximum of 6 months.
Q: How much does a UK visitor visa cost?
A: The visa fee for a standard visitor visa is currently £95, and for a long-term visitor visa, it ranges from £361 to £822, depending on the length of the visa.
Q: How long does it take to get a UK visitor visa?
A: You will usually receive a decision on your visa application within 3 weeks. In some cases, it may take longer.